Thursday, February 25, 2010

Relating Theater to My Life

Relating Theater to My Life

There are a couple ways that I can relate theater to my life. First I can talk about how I spent years performing dance. I have been dancing for a long time and that is a big thing that I can relate to theater.

I want to reflect upon are the 16 years of dance I have done. There is not just one performance that I am really proud of. I just loved getting out there and try to put on a show for the audience. I mean dancing takes a lot of practice I mean a lot and u really have to work hard at it. I have had several broken bones from dancing, but I believe it was well worth it. When you are finished with your performance you have a lot of people cheering and clapping. It is just a huge adrenaline rush when you get done.

I even had to go out and perform when I broke my foot, because my instructor wouldn’t let me quit. It was so painful when I got done but I guess it was well worth it when I heard the applause from the crowd. You have your family and friends in the audience and they video tape you so you can see your performance later.

I guess the hardest part for me to dance was just getting up in front of all those people. You never know who could be in the crowd. I believe the easiest thing for me to do was just forget about who is watching and go out and perform like I know I can. I believe this experience can help me grow as a person because of all the interaction I had with the crowd and the people who danced with me. I would like to grow as a performer as a respiratory therapist, so I can help people breath.

I believe that theater relates to a bunch of people in a various number of ways. Lets talk about how theater relates to the movies. People in the movies are really working in a big play. Think about it they have a script they have to follow, so do people in theater. You have to follow your cues of when to talk and what to do. A big difference in a movie though is that you take have a lot of takes to get your lines right. When you are in theater you only have one chance to get it right and if you don’t get it right you can mess up the whole play.

I think that when a person goes to watch a play the want to get away from their normal life. You want to go watch and enjoy a play like “The Lion King” and take the kids and get away from the normal life you live. They put on a nice show and you feel like you have to come back again and again. Its not like you are at your house watching a movie, the people on the stage are here to put on a show for you to enjoy. I believe they try to connect with the audience so that people can connect with what is going on the stage.

Also theater has a lot to do with fashion. Most plays on Broadway, people wear costumes. The costumes can be formal, informal or new or old. Depending on how old the show is, determines what kind of costumes they wear. Like in The Lion King, the actors wear lion costumes and try to dress up like the animals they are going to play. I believe the actors do this so you can connect to a real life setting around the play. People want a play to be believable and if you don’t dress the part the audience can’t connect with the actors. That is how fashion is incorporated into theater. This concludes how theater relates to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment